Monday, August 13, 2007

I Had a bouncy damp thrash on a benny2 on Sunday

Force 6 and rising We left Brighton with me at the wheel, with two crew and one minor sick machine (poor soul, the grandchild of a crew menber) dodged the moored dreger at the mouth of the inner harbour which has just finished the channel dreging???? and placed almost centrally in the bouyed channel I Ran aground! Bum!!! there should have been a min or 2.5 metres and it was showing 1.8 and Yes we draw 1.9? ho hum! lots of fiddling with the engine and crew moved from stb to port and off we go again! Around the wall and the lump is about 2+ metres and 30 kts of wind from the SE we headed into the wind to allow us to get the sails up which happened to be in the direction of the end of the pier and the wind is now just off the nose and from our port (lee shore syndrome! the main went up with two tucks in it and still very little drive so the genoa went out 50% and away we went. after an hour and as we approached the end of the pier (too close to pass it safetly we tacked out to sea and having now had about an hour and a half "bounce and soak" treatment we headed back to the marina ! the young lad was now below suffering from "inseperability from a red plastic bucket syndrome" and as sick as a Pig with Grandfather in attendance! we set the mainsail and genoa to "goose wing" (against my better judgement but briefly fun) and off we took . Unfortunately the washing machine effect of the sea passing under the hull did nothing for my steering and so with the main starting to lose drive and beginning to luff I shouter "Boom" and she came across, about 6 inches from my nose, sweeping the deck, with the remaining crew member on deck flattened in the cockpit keeping out of the way as he tightened her in. we were now about a mile off the entrance and could easily see the waves spraying over the Caissons of the harbour wall, and knowing the entrance well ,as I do???? we took down the main and carried on in with the genoa only at about 6.4 knots (more than with the main up as it was back winding the foresail) I decided that we would approach quite open so as to see anything that was coming out (fools) and turned when the wall cleared with the intention of hitting the channel full in the middle (given our experience on the way out) which we did so with the starboard channel marker at least 20 feet off our starboard beam, and the wall about the sam off the portside, I waved back to some people on the end of the wall and promptly ran aground again (B*gger) so once again an embarrased "wriggle and a rev" and we were off again into the inner harbour. I have to ask myself if Brighton are responsible in any way for ensuring that they actually have and maintain the sorrect stated (on charts and almanac) clearance in the harbour (entrance as well as the berths)

The bits I hit must have been spikeybits as we showed 2.6 metrs and then went to 1.8 and as we went over back to 2.8, was well in what should have been the dreged channel (ie between the marker bouys, and have been the minimum). I had a great sail on the return the wind hit 35 knots on a couple of occasions and I guess that the boat did about 10 knots for a short while ( goose winging) she sailed like a dingy and was very responsive ( except to grounding :o)) ). Contrary to my feelings that I wouldn`t be asked out to sail on her again because of my ineptitude in the case of the grounding/s (I had no crystal ball did I ?) The Owner and great crew member said as I left haviing commented that he wouldnt want me to crew anymore etc he said what are you talking about? Ive found someone as mad as me, who actually likes rough weather! you are welcome any time you like! So perhaps I`m not such a failure as I thought :o)) Tee hee!!!!!!! Hee, Hee, I had a great time!!! now its time for the Funeral :o((


Fuff said...

Oooooerk. Sounds like fun! We must have had no more than 15 knots here and didn't even get wet bums.
Sorry to hear about your friend Orb. Hope things go OK for you at the funeral x

rob said...

Thanks Fuff! the wind was Flukey too you know the sort, in one direction for 30 seconds and then another! mind you it could have been my steering :o))